This weeks message is on the good news about sin. Yes, you read that correct -- sin is actually good news. Well, OK, the sin itself isn’t good. But knowing about sin, how pervasive and universal it’s reach is, that is good news.
Most of us know, deep down, that something is wrong, that something is not quite right. We may try to avoid it or deny it or find others who will tell us that we’re really not that bad. But that would be like avoiding the doctor because we’re afraid she might find something wrong with us! (Oops! I’m guilty of that one!).
Need proof that we have a hard time with truth? Watch an episode of American Idol tryouts! Person after person shows up and tells the judges how great their friends think they sound. But they can’t fool the judges, can they?
Here’s the good news about sin: God loves us enough to both tell us the truth about our sin and he loves us more than enough to set us free. In Jesus we get both the diagnosis of our condition and the prescription for our cure. Or, as Manhattan pastor Tim Keller puts it, “In the gospel we find out we are far worse off than we ever thought and far more loved than we ever imagined.”
And, here’s a peek ahead to November Worship: We’ll be in the Abraham stories of Genesis and hear God’s desire to bless all of us through Abraham’s family. We’ll also welcome special mission speakers, too: Rev. David Bast from Words of Hope (November 8) and Rev. Cannon Titus Baraka from Uganda (November 22).
Sunday School for All Ages at 9:50a.m.
- Children and Worship
- Ages 5-1st Grade (Children's Area)
- Dismissed during the 8:30 and 11:10 a.m. services.
- Ages K-5th Grade (Children's Area)
- Middle School & High School (Youth Room)
- Adult Opportunities:
- Questions of Life (Fellowship Hall): This week we will conclude a series on “How can we study the Bible in a way that truly changes us?” This class will be digging into God’s Word in a new way for many. We will study Hebrew 10:37-11:6 this week. Come and join in this pursuit and see what God will do.
Sunday School Guide: This week will be Lesson 8 (Adult Room 1)
Going to be gone? You can worship with us live on our Webcast – click HERE
You can also view past services in their entirety – click HERE
You can view this weeks bulletin - click HERE