SUNDAY'S COMING The message on Sunday is the final piece to Bible reading, prayer, and obedience. The Bible text of James 1:19-25 reinforces both those three practices, and gives us a very helpful guide for actually carrying it out. James wants the readers of his letter to 1) Hear the Word of God, 2) Receive it as God's "implanted" word, and 3) Do what it says.
As I shared my sermon in advance with a friend in ministry, he laughed and sighed heavy. Why? Laughter because the point is so simple. And a heavy sigh because we so often miss the most basic things in our quest for fulfillment in following Jesus.
The key is really the third part - Do. Most of us are pretty good at wanting to read the Book and even pray. But it is the doing of the Word that makes us mature. A pastor named Andy Stanley said recently, "Reading the Bible makes us smarter, but not mature." It is in the doing, the living, down-in-the-trenches of life, that produces growth and ultimately joy. I hope you'll come hungry to feed with me.
With you for Jesus,
Our Sunday Morning services start at 8:45 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
Children and Youth Sunday School will meet between services, 10:00-10:50 a.m.
Children and Worship Children ages 5 through 1st grade will be dismissed during the service and can be picked up after church in the Kid’s Area.
Our Adult Sunday School Opportunities this week are:
- Questions of Life (Fellowship Hall)
- On Sunday we will be continuing our discussion from December on the topic of: Homosexuality. We will explore how we look at Scriptures for our guide. This week we will mainly look at Old Testament passages. Jim Mead will facilitate our time together.
- The Life You Have Always Wanted (Adult Rooms 3 & 4)
- On Sunday Michelle Christy will be facilitating the topic of: Bible Reading / Meditation. Learn what it means to meditate on God’s word. Explore additional ways of reading God’s word that help facilitate the spiritual discipline of meditating on God’s word.
- Sunday School Guide (Adult Room 1)
Going to be gone? You can worship with us live on our Webcast – click HERE
You can also view past services in their entirety – click HERE
A number of small groups meet Sunday night. Some use questions based on the morning message. Click HERE for this week’s guide.
OPEN HOUSE BABY SHOWER
Come help celebrate new life within our church family. We want to create a time to help celebrate, encourage, and support families of new babies in our church. This will be a time of fellowship, sharing praise and prayer requests, and desserts. Please join us this Sunday, January 25 from 2-4:00 p.m. in the Youth Room. There will be a prayer and devotional time held at 3:00 p.m. The following families will be honored:
- Wyatt John Aalbers (of Brent and Brittany)
- Jacinth Carryn Bogaard (of Steve and Rebecca)
- Wesley Benjamin Vos (of Ben and Lisa)
- Leo Wesley Willits (of Grant and Megan)
- Rhett Derek Clarey (of Tom and Angel)
- Avonlea Elizabeth Boone (of Adam & Courtney)
- Joslyn Raenie Weber (of Jared and Sarah)
- Ayla Gabrielle Nachtigall (of Chris and Marena)
There will be a card basket for each family, but we encourage this time to be about fellowship and prayer (so please don’t feel the need to bring a gift). We hope to see you all there! If you have any questions please contact Megan Willits at 712-360-0796.
VALLEY MALE CHORUS RESCHEDULED
The Valley Male Chorus of Rock Valley, IA has been rescheduled. They will be presenting a sacred music concert this Sunday night, January 25, 2015 at Trinity. A freewill offering will be taken for the benefit of children and adults with disabilities receiving services at Hope Haven. Everyone is invited to attend this evening of praise and thanksgiving.
LOVE OUR DAUGHTERS NIGHT
On Saturday night, Feb 7, 2015, the Women’s Ministry is hosting a Father/Daughter Night. Fathers/grandfathers/uncles are welcome to come for a night of dinner, dessert, and lots of fun activities to help celebrate and show their girls how precious and special they are. All ages are welcome. The cost is $15.00 for the escort, daughters are free. The event will start at 6:00p.m., in the Fellowship Hall. You can sign-up at the welcome center on Sunday . Sign-up deadline is Sunday, Feb 1st. If you have any questions please contact Sarah Weber at 712-395-1001 or Bruce Anliker at 712-395-8613.
TRINITY SUPER BOWL PARTY
There’s going to be a Trinity Church Super Bowl Party on Sunday, February 1. You’ll be able to watch the game on the big screen, and there will be video games, ping pong, pool, and more. Come any time after 5:00 p.m. ~ the game starts at 5:30 p.m. If you are able, please bring a drink and snacks to share.